2018 Southeast Regional Summit for Graduate Student Leaders
The University of Georgia Graduate-Professional Student Association is hosting a 2018 Southeast Regional Summit for Graduate Student Leaders in alliance with the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students (NAGPS) on Friday and Saturday, April 20-21, 2018 in Atlanta, GA. If you are a graduate student leader or advocate on your campus, join us for an educational and inspiring weekend. All are welcome!
Who is In the Southeast Region?
According to the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, the "Southeast Region" includes Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Puerto Rico, and U. S. Virgin Islands.
What Happens At the Southeast Regional Summit for Graduate Student Leaders?
This meeting's focus on graduate educational quality, regional community-building, legislative advocacy, graduate student engagement, and service will:
- Provide an excellent opportunity to share best practices in graduate student programming and service.
- Equip attendees with the latest updates on regional and national legislation affecting graduate students.
- Introduce a new national initiative to measure the quality of graduate student experiences.
- Encourage shared outreach, service priorities, and leadership initiatives to surface in the form of regional teamwork and grant co-application.
- Expose attendees to resources which can strengthen the graduate student cultures on their campuses, and more broadly throughout the region.
- Empower attendees to engage in more effective leadership and advocacy through educational workshops, outreach, and networking opportunities.
- Demonstrate our region's enduring commitment to a rich culture of scholarship, leadership, service, inclusion, and innovation.
Are there Opportunities To Present at the Meeting?
Yes! We encourage graduate student leaders and advocates from any background and from any university to submit to present.
This year's theme is "One from Many." This maxim emphasizes how great challenges are overcome when many minds, many voices, and many ideas join as one.
The Southeast Regional Summit for Graduate Student Leaders is accepting submissions for presentation in 1 of 2 meeting sessions:
- How We Can Work Together to Improve Graduate Student Experiences Regionally and Locally
- Engaging Graduate Students On Your Campus: Effective Programming for a Lethargic Graduate Student Culture
Presentations should be 5-15 minutes in length, and can use any medium. Your presentation can inform attendees about a challenge or successful program that has been implemented on your campus OR can teach attendees an idea or skill which may be helpful in improving graduate education and student culture on their campuses. We would like presentations to have a direct connection to the session "themes" above; however, these are intentionally flexible.